Sunday 17 December 2017

A Snub Explained

The following excerpt seems to be an explanation as to why Henry snubbed Sophia Wombwell:

…I looked at her and slightly bowed but (Geo) was with her and as I could not speak to her – without his hearing all, I thought as she did not make any advance to me, she wished me to pass as it were unnoticed. Be sure and tell her dear Maria how this is as I would not upon any consideration have her suppose I passed her with the slightest intention of disrespect.

When I saw you were not with them, I supposed, dearest, you would not forget your Henry – and I am grateful for your kind note as it quite cheered me up. It reminded me and convinced me that although what with false friends and much that has tended to damp my spirits in many other respects – there was one alone who cared for my interest and felt for me and could sympathise with me and I need not say – beloved – who that is – as you know it is none other but yourself and I hope dearest you will remain so as I feel assured I shall ever remain your true and devoted loving Henry – but I know you feel that I shall ever be true as I do that you will be faithfully true to me. I shall take the first opportunity of giving this to Jane – 

Believe me dearest Maria – ever devoted and faithfully affectionate Little Ria – Henry.

Poor Henry – the more you read about these disasters, the less the whiskers of that late Victorian photograph intimidate, and the more the lonesome spirit in his eyes starts to reveal itself. It may be taken that the ‘Geo’ accompanying Aunt Sophia on this occasion was George Robinson, the second son of Charles Robinson and Harriett Wombwell.

One wonders also whether Maria ever started to tire of these plaintive and even tedious proclamations of affection flashing their way across Limehouse and Bow in the hands of the indefatigable Jane? Or whether she felt any irritation at the notes of self-pity that are continually injected into the prose? Probably not. Maria kept these letters bundled up neatly and hidden away till the end of her days, and at a guess thrilled at their touch, not necessarily from the brilliance of the prose but from the hidden manner of their delivery. It was the joy of secrets untold and the fear of their discovery that led to the real inner excitement and trembling in the stomach. Jane may have been no relation but she was an absolutely key operative in this particular family history, let there be no doubt about it.


1851 Record of burial for Henry’s father in St Matthew, Bethnal Green. Henry never mentions him in his letters. This might give another clue as to why Harriett Wombwell had her doubts about releasing Maria to Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.