Monday 11 December 2017

Servants

Wednesday Morning

My Dearest Treasure –

I received a note, dear Maria, yesterday afternoon from aunt to say she would be in town on Thursday. I have written to the effect that I shall go down in the evening in the hopes of seeing you as she states she had written to you to go too. – I suppose dearest you could not get out on Saturday Evening as I waited about till 11 – but did not see you. I hope dear Maria to see you Thursday evening as I do long to see you and it seems so long since we last met.

But I must not stop now to write more as it is past 8 o’clock and I may miss Jane for taking this.. I must get you to (forgive) this mite of a note and send you another, dear Maria to make up for it, as I have a deal to (tell) you.

Goodbye dearest for the present and believe me ever to be your own constant, devoted and affectionate Henry – Dearest little Ria…

Not only was Sophia Wombwell in on the plot, but also a family servant – the ever-willing Jane – had been corralled into the conspiracy in order to take these letters from one lover to the other on what seems to have been a daily shuttle service across The East End. A perilous risk for a young servant girl, one can imagine, should Harriett Wombwell have discovered her role in this furtive courtship.




Baptism of Maria Robinson, 10 May, 1829. She was actually born on 10th December, 1828

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.