Monday 18 December 2017

Continuing Travails

My Dearest Maria,

I received your note by Jane for which I am very grateful and would only wish that like this it was a little longer – but dearest, I know you cannot – I have hardly time to write this… am working while I write to my affectionate little Ria, my beloved.. I will... another for you when Jane can call again.
I wished to say what course dearest we had better… under present circumstances – but do not see the necessity for delay… that will depend upon you…

…I long dearest to have you – my future partner to consult with in my present difficulty but I know you will ever be faithful and kind to me and that slander nor misfortune will not… any change any more than it…

Your own affectionate, faithfully, Henry.

And so, the travails of Henry continue, snubbed, robbed, assaulted and finally slandered. From who and concerning what we are not told, though by now we can certainly guess. Henry’s script in this letter is even more agitated than normal, and at times his scrawl descends into complete illegibility. Whoever exactly was doing the slandering in question though, Henry seems to have been worried enough that it might just affect Maria’s feelings towards him. More signs that Henry wanted to marry, and that he wanted to marry fast.



Record of Maria Harriett Robinson's death and will. From: http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014898/005014898_00038.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.