Saturday 9 December 2017

A Victorian Mugging



Jamaica Terrace
July 18th 

My own Dearest Maria,

I wish, you dearest, in a moment of trouble to open my heart to my only comfort and hope, as I know my affectionate Maria will sympathise with her own Henry both in adversity and joy – I have been robbed of £18.00. but Jane will tell you the particulars – I was attacked by three men – two of them nearly the size of Elfick (?) – they did not take my watch or my purse in my other pocket, but they disabled me so that I could not follow them – I am not hurt much you will be happy to hear.
Do not, dearest, allow this to trouble you – I would not have told you, but as you are sure to hear of it thought I would let my only treasure know my trouble from myself and not second hand, losing nothing in being told. But – dearest, it grieves me to know that it will deprive us of many little things for the present since it has broken into the money I intended to pay for wedding expenses with.
But, dearest, do not be… to me because I am unfortunate – write to me – if only a line – as I need the consolation of my affectionate wife at this trying moment. It will not affect our marriage – Maria, but of this I speak hereafter. Jane…….. when I will speak more fully as my ideas are so deranged that I can hardly think of anything, but to pray my beloved not be uneasy as of course I shall feel the loss very much but the amount will not affect me much except for the present – let me beg of you dearest to send me news of yourself if only two lines in pencil…

I am not injured much but am very sore and stiff all over – try and console me dearest if you can. I am now in the shop and much interrupted so my only treasure may ….. 

...at present from her own faithful and affectionate… Henry Bradley.


This stark reminder of how dangerous it could be wandering around Victorian London also suggests that Henry was not very poor. Eighteen pounds was not an insubstantial amount of cash to be carrying round. It cannot also have been a very wise sum of money to be transporting across the East End, just north of the docks. Quite how Henry proposed to pursue his three large assailants had they not had the foresight to make sure he was disabled is not very obvious. It must have been quite galling for him under the circumstances though to suffer this economic loss just as he was doing his very best to furnish up a house fitting for a daughter of the sceptical Harriett Wombwell.



Image from http://www.victorianlondon.org/crime/representations.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.